Top of the morning!
Here is Your AM Rundown, with news updates in 400 words or less. Get caught up on headlines and other developments you might’ve missed.
Here’s what’s up in Atlanta today:
- Former Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed might be in some hot water. A report led by the city’s inspector general found that almost $83,000 in tax dollars were used in questionable transactions involving Reed, including a donation made to Howard University. A Reed spokesperson said the report lacked the information about money owed to the former mayor for not taking a pay raise in 2014. But, according to the report, these declined funds were nowhere to be found.
“The fact that none of Reed’s salary had ever been set aside or transferred, nor was any distribution account established, erodes any basis for Reed’s later proprietary claims to the funds,” the report reads.
- Primary election runoffs went down yesterday, and we wanted to know what was on people’s minds as they got ready to cast their ballots. So, our reporter Sydney Sims took to the streets to hear from voters. Want to know what people said? Click here.
- And it don’t stop. Metro Atlanta hit a record median home price of $400,000, marking what everyone already knew: It’s a rough time for buyers. While demand plays a huge role, a rise in investors swiping up homes and dwindling supply has also led to the high rate.
- So, maybe monkeypox is not going away? A third case of the disease was found in the state last Friday. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention maintains that monkeypox’s threat to the country is low.
- Over the Juneteenth weekend, several Black celebrities were officially inducted into the Black Music and Entertainment Walk of Fame Downtown. T.D. Jakes, Rev Run and Cathy Hughes were some of the famous folks in attendance for their enshrinement.
ICYMI: OK sis, we see you! Friday saw the opening of The Sistah Shop in Atlantic Station. The shop is run by a Black woman, Aisha Taylor Issah, and only carries products made by other Black women — a first for Midtown.
Got tips, pitches, or other updates to include in Your AM Rundown? Hit us up at firstname.lastname@example.org.