Top of the morning! Happy Tuesday!
Here is Your AM Rundown, with news updates in 400 words or less. Get caught up on headlines and other developments you might’ve missed.
Here’s what’s up in Atlanta:
- DeKalb County students will receive free lunch this summer. As part of the Seamless Summer Option program, students can get lunch at no cost to parents through July 22. Click here to find out where you can pick up free lunch for your student.
- A manhunt is underway for a suspect in connection with the death of Atlanta rapper Trouble. Various reports suggest that Trouble, whose real name was Mariel Semonte Orr, was visiting a friend when he was gunned down in Rockdale County. A 33-year-old Atlanta man, Jamichael Jones, is a suspect and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.
- Remember when we told you that poll workers in DeKalb County were counting votes by hand over Memorial Day weekend? Well, votes are in and the losing candidate in the DeKalb Board of Commissioners race has endorsed his former opponent in the runoff election. Marshall Orson, who lost his bid for the District 2 seat, endorsed Lauren Alexander. Alexander is running against Michelle Long Spears.
- Atlanta is slated to lose nearly 100 acres of its South River Forest to a $90 million police training facility. Known by its opponents as “Cop City,” the development has been a point of contention between police supporters and detractors. Capital B national reporter Adam Mahoney and Atlanta community engagement editor Adjoa Danso spoke with residents near the site about their concerns.
- The Georgia Department of Health confirmed to Capital B Atlanta that the case of orthopoxvirus is indeed monkeypox. Last week, a metro Atlanta man with a history of international travel tested positive for the virus, but the CDC had to confirm whether it was indeed monkeypox.
ICYMI: Need a runoff election primer ahead of June 21? Our politics reporter Chauncey Alcorn explored which Black candidates could make history if they win their elections. Read more.
Got tips, pitches, or other updates to include in Your AM Rundown? Hit us up at email@example.com.